Sunday, July 9, 2017

Old-Fashioned Macaroni Salad

This is one of those recipes I remember my grandmother serving when we would go to her house.  She would always serve this dish at spring and summer visits and I remember it well.  I never got her exact recipe for this dish.  I found The Pioneer Woman's recipe for Macaroni Salad and it tastes very similar to my Muffa's.  So, I tweaked it a wee bit and it is very close.  Maybe next time I will add a bit of mustard or mustard powder or mustard seed to the dish and see if that is what it needs to be more Muffa-like.


Ingredients:
3 cups elbow macaroni
1 large jar pimentos
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
2 heaping Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
3/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
2 Tablespoons Ranch Dressing
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 heaping teaspoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

  • Cook elbow macaroni as directed on package.  Rinse, drain, and allow it to cool.
  • Add diced onion, pepper, and pimento to macaroni but do not stir till all ingredients have been added.
  • Dollop in relish, Miracle Whip, Ranch dressing.

  • Splash with vinegar and sprinkle in salt and pepper.
  • Give this all a gentle stir to blend well but not break up macaroni noodles.
  • Chill in fridge for an hour or so and serve cold.
I'm taking mine off to the family reunion today.  I hope it hits the spot as much as my Muffa's used to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment