This is a recipe I found in the Ball Blue Book guide to preserving. My copy looks like this:
1 quart chopped cucumbers (about 4 medium)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
1 cup chopped sweet, green pepper (about 1 medium)
1 cup chopped sweet, red pepper (about 1 medium)
1/4 cup salt
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 cups cider vinegar
- First, wash and sort your cucumbers. I saved the larger of the two sizes I had to make Kosher Dill Pickles. (That recipe will follow when I have finished that project up!)
- Next, wash peppers and onions.
- Chop cucumbers. I used my Pampered Chef food chopper but next time I'll probably use a food processor because I will double the recipe and that is a LOT of hand chopping.
- Chop peppers and onions.
- Combine chopped cucumbers, onions, and peppers in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours.
- The mix will bubble and start to
stink emit a strong smellbecome quite fragrant.
- After 2 hours, drain. Rinse and drain thoroughly. (I put the chopped stuff into an old, thin, clean pillow case and squeezed all the liquid out to drain this thoroughly.)
Just wanted to show off my pretty new measuring spoons I got for Mother's Day.
Thanks Corey, Bridgette, Lillie, and Lydia!
- Combine sugar, spices, and vinegar in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add drained vegetables and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pack relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles by sliding a wooden or plastic spoon down the side of the jar.
- Attach two-piece caps.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.