I got this recipe at the local Kroger deli section. There was a lady passing out samples and I tasted it and chatted with her while I was waiting for Mike's ham and cheese to be sliced. It is super easy and takes on about 15 minutes prep time. It makes enough for a family or for Mike and I to serve when we have company. So, I make it in two 9x9 square dishes instead of the one dish. I can put one in the freezer for later or to take to somebody. Add a side salad and it is a delicious meal!
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 ounces white sliced or whole mushrooms
2 small zucchini, sliced or diced
2 cans (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Kroger Deli Rotisserie Chicken, deboned and broken into chunks
1 package (8 oz.) shredded Italian blend or Mozzarella cheese
1 package (9 oz.) Kroger Wholesome @ Home Chicken and Bacon Borsetti Fresh Pasta, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and saute one minute.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini and saute for five minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, add chicken and one cup cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spread uncooked borsetti pasta evenly in bottom of baking dish.
- Top with chicken and vegetable mixture, making sure all pasta is covered.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese over top.
- Bake uncovered for twenty minutes on center oven rack until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand five minutes before serving.
- As I noted at the top, it makes a big batch. So, unless Mike and I want lots of leftovers, I separate it into two dishes when I'm preparing it and freeze or gift one of them.
- Since Mike isn't so crazy about chunks of tomatoes, I've tried it using tomato sauce and it is just as tasty. (I also decided that Mike just isn't much of a casserole guy and I might save this dish for a girly day with friends.)
- I've also tried this with frozen cheese tortellini and it is also delicious.
Yields 4-6 large servings.