Saturday, July 9, 2011

Italian Chicken Pasta Bake


I got this recipe at the local Kroger deli section.  There was a lady passing out samples and I tasted it and chatted with her while I was waiting for Mike's ham and cheese to be sliced.  It is super easy and takes on about 15 minutes prep time.  It makes enough for a family or for Mike and I to serve when we have company.  So, I make it in two 9x9 square dishes instead of the one dish.  I can put one in the freezer for later or to take to somebody.  Add a side salad and it is a delicious meal!

1/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 ounces white sliced or whole mushrooms
2 small zucchini, sliced or diced
2 cans (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Kroger Deli Rotisserie Chicken, deboned and broken into chunks
1 package (8 oz.) shredded Italian blend or Mozzarella cheese
1 package (9 oz.) Kroger Wholesome @ Home Chicken and Bacon Borsetti Fresh Pasta, uncooked

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.  Add onion and garlic and saute one minute.
  • Add mushrooms and zucchini and saute for five minutes.  Add crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and pepper.  Stir to combine.
  • Remove from heat, add chicken and one cup cheese.  Stir to combine.
  • Spread uncooked borsetti pasta evenly in bottom of baking dish. 
  • Top with chicken and vegetable mixture, making sure all pasta is covered. 
  • Sprinkle with remaining cheese over top.
  • Bake uncovered for twenty minutes on center oven rack until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.  Let stand five minutes before serving.
NOTES:
  1. As I noted at the top, it makes a big batch.  So, unless Mike and I want lots of leftovers, I separate it into two dishes when I'm preparing it and freeze or gift one of them.
  2. Since Mike isn't so crazy about chunks of tomatoes, I've tried it using tomato sauce and it is just as tasty.  (I also decided that Mike just isn't much of a casserole guy and I might save this dish for a girly day with friends.)
  3. I've also tried this with frozen cheese tortellini and it is also delicious.
Total time needed from beginning of prep till dining:  35 minutes
Yields 4-6 large servings.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it can't go wrong. I'm a girly guy so I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete