Mama's Southern Cornbread
3 cups soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup butter
2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
1 bunch celery, diced (3 cups)
1 Tablespoon dried sage
4 eggs, beaten
5-6 cans chicken broth (10 oz. cans)
1 Tablespoon black pepper
- Make Mama's Southern Cornbread and allow to cool completely. (I usually make this a day or so ahead of when needed.)
- Crumble cornbread into an extra-large mixing bowl.
- Add soft bread crumbs and stir together well.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add diced onions and celery and saute till tender.
- Sprinkle in sage and stir well/
- Add vegetables to bread crumbs and stir.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Add beaten eggs.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir till well blended and makes a batter.
- Spray one 13x9-inch baking dish and one 8-inch square baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Pour mixture evenly into baking dishes. (I do this the day before and chill overnight. If batter seems dry, add more chicken broth.)
- Chill at least 8 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm with turkey and gravy.