Friday, June 21, 2013

Beef and Bean Chimichangas


This is a recipe I adapted using leftovers from one by The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond.  I had set up a buffet to build-your-own nachos for Father's Day.  We enjoyed the Loaded Nacho recipe found HERE as a rerun the next day but I wanted something a little different after that and there was still a lot of beef and bean filling left.  So, I adapted this Baked Chimichanga recipe and it turned out to be yummy!

Leftover beef and bean mixture (See further info in the Loaded Nacho recipe link above.)
8 ounces cream cheese
Tortillas (I used Tomato-Basil flavored ones but any will work fine.)
Grated Cheese (I used a Mexican Blend.)
vegetable spray
Pico De Gallo (See further info in the Loaded Nacho recipe link above.)
cheese sauce (I bought one but you could also easily make one.)
sour cream (optional unless you are married to my husband)

  • Gently warm the beef and bean mixture in a skillet.

  • Add cream cheese and stir as it melts into the beef and bean mixture.

  • Take one flour tortilla and add a dollop or two of the beef/bean/cream cheese mixture.

  • Top with a spoon full of kernel corn.

  • Sprinkle with a little bit of grated cheeses.  



  • Gently fold the tortilla in at the top and bottom a little bit and gently fold the sides over the dollop of filling and roll it into a bundle.  (I didn't forget to take a picture of this step but I didn't have enough hands and Toby didn't feel confident serving as photographer!)
  • Lay the tortilla bundles (chimichanga) seam-side-down onto a foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed lightly with vegetable spray.
  • Lightly spray the tops of the chimichangas with vegetable spray.  (See how they glisten with the light spritz of oil?)
  • Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • Flip chimichangas and bake an additional 5-10 minutes till the tortilla is crisp and golden.
Serve with rice, Pico De Gallo, cheese sauce, and, if you are my husband, sour cream.


Note:  I froze a couple of these and then sent it to work with Mike a day or two later and he says it tasted just as delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a chimichangas recipe! thanks!
    deb

    ReplyDelete