Friday, June 21, 2013

Pioneer Meat Loaf

This is a shot of the meatloaf as soon as I put it in the oven.  
I forgot to photograph any steps or the finished product.  It looked just like Ree's and 
her photography skills are better than mine so look at her blog recipe pictures and pretend they are mine!

I have begun taping Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman shown on TV.

Is it still called taping or should I update my vocabulary and refer to it as recording since I am using a digital video recorder?  Is my vocabulary too old fashioned and marking me more as an old woman?

I recently used her recipe called My Favorite Meatloaf as my starting place for making dinner the other night.  I did have to stray just a wee little bit, however.  Here is how my version goes...

Meatloaf Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
5 slices bread
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
black pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 chopped green onion
2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
2 whole eggs, beaten
6-8 slices bacon

Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Tabasco to taste


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Tear three slices of bread into pieces and pour milk over the bread.  Set aside for a few minutes.
  • Place the ground beef into a large mixing bowl.
  • Add Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, parsley, onion, and bell pepper to the beef.
  • Add milk-soaked bread and beaten eggs.
  • With clean hands, smoosh and mix the ingredients together until well combined.
  • Line a baking sheet with foil and lay two slices of bread end-to-end.  
  • Form meat mixture into a loaf and set it atop the two slices of bread.
  • Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
  • Mix up the sauce by adding ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, and hot sauce in a bowl together and stirring.
  • Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon and spread it around.
  • Bake for 45 minutes and pour another 1/3 of the sauce over the top.  
  • Bake for another 15 minutes.
  • Slice and serve with remaining sauce.
Note:  When I make this again, I will probably broil it for about 5-7 minutes to cook the bacon more thoroughly because we like a thicker bacon.  It probably would be okay without the bacon, too.

Note 2:  I WILL be making it again because Mike informed me it was the best meatloaf I had ever made and I am finally starting to cook foods the way he likes them!

No comments:

Post a Comment