This is one of those recipes I remember my grandmother serving when we would go to her house. She would always serve this dish at spring and summer visits and I remember it well. I never got her exact recipe for this dish. I found The Pioneer Woman's recipe for Macaroni Salad and it tastes very similar to my Muffa's. So, I tweaked it a wee bit and it is very close. Maybe next time I will add a bit of mustard or mustard powder or mustard seed to the dish and see if that is what it needs to be more Muffa-like.
3 cups elbow macaroni
1 large jar pimentos
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
2 heaping Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
3/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
2 Tablespoons Ranch Dressing
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 heaping teaspoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook elbow macaroni as directed on package. Rinse, drain, and allow it to cool.
- Add diced onion, pepper, and pimento to macaroni but do not stir till all ingredients have been added.
- Dollop in relish, Miracle Whip, Ranch dressing.
- Splash with vinegar and sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Give this all a gentle stir to blend well but not break up macaroni noodles.
- Chill in fridge for an hour or so and serve cold.
I'm taking mine off to the family reunion today. I hope it hits the spot as much as my Muffa's used to do!